Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hard Stick - L.P Dover - New Release and Review


He carries a big stick. And he’s not afraid to use it. 

On the ice, I’m Kellan Carter, powerhouse enforcer for the Charlotte Strikers. Off the ice, I’m just a regular guy. The last thing I want is to get mobbed by a bunch of groupies who are only after me for my fame and money. My ideal woman knows how to enjoy a little good, clean fun—and maybe some not-so-clean fun too. That’s the kind of girl I’d never let go.

When Kristen Robinson, the gorgeous, down-to-earth bartender I’ve been crushing on, agrees to let me take her out, I’m thrilled. We have an amazing night together, culminating in the most electrifying kiss of my life—and that’s it. Kristen tells me we can’t see each other again, but I know that kiss meant as much to her as it did to me. What I don’t know is that Kristen has a dangerous secret. . . . 

I’ve proved to Kristen that she can trust me with her body and her heart. But when her past comes back to haunt her, I need to prove that she can trust me with her life. And I might have to get my hands dirty after all.

Goodreads ~ Amazon

Elizabeth's Review


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend


Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley


If you are looking for a hockey book - stop, this isn't it. Yes, the hero of the book is a hockey player and we see him in his work element, but this is not a sports romance. This is similar to the books of Ms. Dover's Second Chance series, where the common thread is the professional athlete male lead, but the true story lies elsewhere.
In this case, I would say this is a well written romantic suspense.
Kristen got involved with the wrong man and ended up paying a heavy price for it. A year later, we find her back in North Carolina - in Belmont (if you've read the Second Chance series, this should ring a bell) and fending off the advances of several hockey players while she tends bar.
Team Captain, Kellan, eventually gets a date and....... You don't need me to tell you the rest.
I liked this book and the characters. Kristen and Kellan are both good people that you can't help but root for and like. The secondary cast is awesome and if you are paying attention, you can see hints regarding the stars of future books. There is also a good balance between the suspense and romance elements of the story - and within the romance, there is a balance between the sexy times and actual relationship building.
Overall, this is a solid start to a new series and an enjoyable book. I see similarities between this and the Second Chance series, but it doesn't feel like a repeat of those books. I am looking forward to seeing where the Breakaway series goes.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment