Sunday, February 7, 2016

Three ~ ES Carter


I am a son.
I am a brother.
I am an artist.
I am a student.
I am her student.

She was my first.
First infatuation, first ‘real’ kiss, first love, first..... heartbreak.

I gave her everything, including my body and would have given her more.
I gave her ‘I love you’ ….she told me her heart was filled by another, there was no room left for me.

We could never be.
What we did was wrong.
It didn’t feel wrong to me.

The deepest hurt is a love that you cannot have. It will last the longest, cut the deepest and feel the strongest. It is an imperfect love; a disfigured circle that never ends. You cannot control it; it's as simple as blinking and just like blinking the more you try to stop it, the more the pain consumes you. 

This is book 3 in 'The Love by Numbers' series. Although it contains characters from the previous books, it can be read as a standalone.

Goodreads ~ Amazon 


Elizabeth's Review


4 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review copy provided by publisher via Net Galley

E.S Carter is an author that I have had sitting on my TBR for at least 6 months. I've been wanting to read her books and finally got the chance with Three. My only regret right now is that I have waited as long as I did to read her work!

Three is a well crafted story. Liam and Cari are both characters that are easy to like, especially once Cari tells Liam her story and there is more understanding of their history together. Liam could easily win the boyfriend of the year award for the care he takes with Cari and his very gentle pursuit of her. His dedication to her sister is also heartwarming and makes him that much more special.

This is the third book in a series and stands alone, but is definitely connected to the other books. I worried about this a little bit since I have not read the prior stories yet, but it was not an issue at all. Liam's brothers and their significant others appear in the story and play important secondary roles, but knowing their histories isn't crucial to appreciating the journey Liam and Cari are on. I think my favorite of the secondary characters was Liam's mother. She has some wonderful quotes throughout the story and her handling of Liam and Cari's history was so sweet.

My one complaint about Three is Liam's age. His maturity and excellent handling of the complexities in Cari's situation doesn't seem to line up with someone who is only 20. When references to his age would come up in the story it always caught me off guard because he seemed so much older. This is a small thing and does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the story. I will definitely be going back to make my way through Ms. Carter's backlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment