Monday, October 5, 2015

The Perception ~ Adriana Locke


There is no greater burden than a secret, and Kari Stanley has been carrying one alone for a long time. But fate intervenes in the form of a broken down car and the kind offer of assistance from a handsome stranger with a sweet, southern drawl. In exchange, all she has to do is go to dinner with him. Temptation was never so sweet. Max Quinn has secrets of his own. His good deeds aren't just a product of his southern upbringing; they're his atonement. As one dinner turns into two, he realizes that Kari just might be his salvation. As they struggle to find their path together, their secrets weigh heavier on them. Will they be able to trust one another with the truth, or will their secrets keep them apart forever? This book CAN be read as a stand-alone novel.

Elizabeth's Review 

4.5 stars - One of the Best books I've read

Oh Wow! You'd think after reading Sacrifice and The Exception, I wouldn't be surprised, but Ms. Locke managed to get me again. I absolutely loved this book and would trade places with Kari to date Max in a heartbeat. We met both Max and Kari in The Exception and The Perception picks up roughly a year and a half later. Things between the two are rocking along, more serious than they were, but Max still can't pin Kari down to make a commitment. We learn that Kari has something in her past that makes her believe she "can't" be with Max and I enjoyed how Ms. Locke spread out the information. By the time the big reveal of the problem came, my reaction was a combination of surprised/not surprised. The important part of the situation wasn't as much the secret itself, but how Max reacted. If I hadn't already had a crush on him, that would have done it. Max has a past issue as well and it keeps popping up in the form of Samantha (Sam). Sam and her behavior added an element of suspense to the story that pulled me in and had my imagination going crazy. I kept imagining a bunny in a stew pot and while things didn't get that crazy, but it was still a roller coaster ride. My respect for Max and Kari shot up watching how they dealt with the Sam issue. It would have been so easy for them to blow up, but they worked through everything with maturity and grace that was admirably. Ms. Locke is a newer author to me. I first read her work mid summer and continue to be impressed with each book I read. I have to wonder, is there any hope a certain doctor will get a book soon?

Find it on Goodreads and Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment